Tour de Toon…
Sunday 23rd May 2021
1:30pm from the Hub (Newcastle quayside)
Although a short one, and the majority is on shared use path or designated cycle channel on roads, you MUST be confident on the bike for this route and be confident negotiating busy junctions.
Starting from the Hub, we take a short but JAM PACKED route, taking in some of the city’s best bits to see by bike:
Heaton park - tick
Armstrong park - tick
Armstrong bridge - tick
Jesmond - tick
Town Moor - tick
Exhibition Park / Wylam brewery - tick
Leazes Park - tick
For the footy fans - St James Park - tick
China Town - tick
High Level bridge, with the best view of the Quayside that you can get - tick
Tyne Bridge - tick
Swing bridge - tick
Millennium bridge - tick.
There will be opportunity to get a brew (and cake!?) at the half-way point, when we stop in one of the parks.
**There is an option to make this a 29-30 mile ride by joining the leaders at their own start point (with Tour de Toon being the middle part). If you'd like to do 30 miles, please contact the ride creator)**
What should I wear?
Whatever you feel comfortable in! Some people will wear cycling kit, some will just wear casual clothes.
What should I bring?
A spare inner tube to fit your tyres. The leaders can help you fix a puncture, but only if you have the right size inner tube for your bike!
You might also want to bring a drink.
You’ll definitely want to bring your camera for this one!
In order for the ride to leave promptly, please be punctual.
Although we carry out basic bike safety checks prior to setting off, please make sure your bike is in working condition PRIOR to arriving for the ride.
Helmets are not mandatory, but are strongly advised.
Places on rides are very limited, so if you book on this ride and then find you have to cancel, please do so as soon as you can so that your place is available to someone else.
PHOTOGRAPHY - The organiser of the ride may take photographs or videos of the ride and riders for publicity purposes. By registering to participate in the ride, you agree that photographic images of you or containing you, may be used by the organiser, sponsors or promoters of the ride for publicity purposes
If the weather is poor, we will only contact you if we are cancelling the ride and will do so by putting a message in the ‘conversation’ tab in the ride. You should receive a notification by email if there is a message. If you have not heard from us we are still riding.
Please note the following:
• We will not share any equipment so please be organised and bring your own items eg drink, spare inner tube, tyre levers and pump, sun cream and hand sanitiser.
• You should pay particular attention to your bike being in good working order before attending a ride so as to minimise risks and disruption to rides.
• We will ride taking social distancing into account. At the time of writing British Cycling recommend riding 2m apart.
• Participants must not attend a ride if they have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with symptoms
• Anyone who develops COVID-19 symptoms during a ride must inform a leader.
• Anyone who develops COVID symptoms after a ride must contact the leader. British Cycling HQ will then contact everyone who attended the ride.
You can contact the leader(s) directly via the ‘Message Ride Creator’ tab in the ride posting on Let’s Ride.
We look forward to seeing you.
Susan and Wendy